Sunday 13 March 2011

SMILEY STRIPES


I've got lots of bits and pieces on the needles at the moment and seem to not be able to settle to finishing any of them. I've been doing a 'little bit of this' and a 'little bit of that' and not a great deal of anything. BUT, this afternoon I decided to cast on and complete something. I did it! Using more of the 'Smiley Stripes' yarn that I showed you last week, I rustled this little beret up this afternoon, whilst watching the rugby international. The pattern is from the 'Hearts and Stripes' booklet by Sirdar. I've made the 6 to 12 months size to go with the cardigan that I've started, for Sophie's Easter gift. The yarn knits beautifully. It's soft and gives a lovely even stitch. 

Here's how the yarn patterning is working out on the cardigan, so far...


The first half of the 'Spring Cardi' using the DROPS pattern has also been completed...


It's hard to imagine how this odd shape can become half of a cardigan, isn't it! To the left is half of the back, to the right is the right front and at the bottom of the photo, is what will be the right sleeve. Very clever really!

Young Oscar spent yesterday evening watching Crufts on the TV. He sat mesmerised for some time, before getting up for a closer look. I think he thought this whippet looked a bit o the thin side for his liking.


I'm sorry this is a rather short post this week, but I now have 'pay back time'. As I spent all afternoon knitting and very happily too, may I add, I now need to sort out bits and pieces for school tomorrow. Not that I have anything to complain about, as I sit in my warm, comfortable, peaceful home. My thoughts go out to all those people in Japan, who have had their lives changed forever by the earthquake and tsunami. It's impossible to truly imagine the catastrophic scale of the disaster just from TV coverage. The human loss is immense.

I'm grateful for my own small world and those who share it with me! Thank you bloggy friends!

19 comments:

Clicky Needles said...

Love the smiley stripes and Oscar watching the TV.

josiekitten said...

That stripy yarn is so pretty, the cardi will be fab, especially with some different rainbow coloured buttons! Great photo of Oscar. Have a good week! x

Lynne said...

It's lovely to see how the Smiley Stripes knits up, it looks great. And Oscar watching television is too funny! Maybe he feels he should be in Crufts. :)

Sarah said...

Yes me too Ros. I love the little beret. It is satisfying to get something finished in one go. I also enjoyed the picture of Oscar watching telly-so sweet!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hello Ros! You said it so well - it's not possible for us to understand that katastroph.
I love that sweet baret you have made for Sophie! That yarn is so beautiful!
I wish I could have been in Crafts! I'm happy that Oscar paid attention for that unique Dog show!
I wish you and Oscar lovely and sunny week! xxx Teje, Nero and the girls

kate said...

That beret is sooo cute!! I always love your colour in your knitting.

melissa said...

oh my - all those lovely lovely stripes - makes my head swoon from the loveliness!

Molly the Airedale said...

We love the colorful beret! We bet it would look cute on your head, Oscar!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Tracy said...

That Smiley Stripes yarn is fantastic, Ros... It is so fresh and fun! Very fun Oscar watching the TV. We seldom watch any nature/animal related programs on TV as our cat Charlie gets befuddled then goes round the house looking for other animals...LOL! Happy week ((HUGS))

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Those stripes are just yummy.Sophie will look so cute in that new cardi too.
Do you have to hide the remote from Oscar?
Have a great week and give an extra hug to those you love.
Susan x

Jennyff said...

You did right to take some time for knitting and relaxing, I did exactly the same in front of the rugby though I barely understand the game. I really like the way the way the stripes yarn is working out, Sophie will be delighted. Have a good week with maybe the odd finished article, sorry pressure you don't need.

Kathy said...

Oh, what a sweet little hat! Sophie is going to look just adorable!

Dawn said...

Love that yarn.
Oscar watching Crufts reminded me of my first dog who liked to watch One Man and his Dog.

Stadtwaldvogel said...

The hat for Sophie is gorgeous! You have made good progress with the cardigan for her, too. Oscar is funny!
Have a wonderful week!
Yours, Julia

Unknown said...

Lovely colours:)
Love that beret/cap.

Yes, time we all learned to be thankful for and appreciate the simple joys in our daily lives...it just takes a minute for everything to change...

Hugs to Oscar. Gin, Bud n Shadow loves to watch tv too..especially animal planet which leaves them rather confused because they cannot smell anyone but hear them growl!! hee hee...

Helsie said...

I've often wondered if dogs can actually see what's on TV. Ours seem to ignore it altogether but Oscar certainly looks like he is interested.
Love the cardi for Sophie. She's a very lucky little girl.
Cheers
Helen

Willow said...

Oscar is the cutest thing!

I too am overwhelmed by the information coming out of Japan. That is partly because our world is so much smaller and we feel much closer to the people who are suffering.

One of the best ways to stay calm and focused is to knit and knit and knit.

Unknown said...

I found your blog on Pinterest and really, really like the hat at the top of your blog made from the rainbow colors. I would really like to make one for my granddaughter. Do you by any chance have a pattern for it that you can share???

Unknown said...

I really like the rainbow beret that you knitted and would love to make one for my granddaughter. Do have a pattern that you can share for it?