Sunday 3 July 2011

NOT MORE SOCKS!!


Good evening! What a lovely one it is too! I've spent most of the weekend either in the grden or in front of the television, watching the tennis. I really enjoy it and think I have watched at least some action from every Wimbledon since I was about ten years old. I was once not too bad a player myself!!! I snapped the above photo this afternoon, as I noticed the wisteria making a second appearance. It's one of my my favourite flowers, but alas it's never in bloom for very long. It's always a bonus when it reappears for a second showing.

It's only two weeks now until Knit Nation. I'm so excited and really looking forward to the weekend in London, with my dear pal Josiekitten. We'll have such fun! I've managed to complete the 'Lilac Pool Socks' that were yet another of my 'must complete before Knit Nation' projects.


 The pattern gets a little lost in the busy yarn, but I'm still more than happy with them. There are so many pretty lilac and pupley shades in the yarn; it's very pretty.

It's not often that I don't complete projects, but this morning I decided to have a tidy up and make the dreaded 'frog it now!!!!!' decision on a couple of projects that have lain around for a little too long.  First to go was the 'Swallowtail Shawl' that I began five or six times last August. I had completed no more than an inch or two, so the decision was an easy one. It had to go....... FROGGED!


 Next to go was the pretty little 'Margot' jumper for Sophie. I had almost completed the back, but realised that I had made two errors; one a pattern error and one a sizing error. It has been left for a couple of months at least now and I fear it will not fit her by the time I correct and complete it. I'm sure I will have another go at this one in a larger time, when I feel inspired to do so. So.................. FROGGED!


Ahhh, that feels so much better. I hate having a build-up of unfinished items. On the other hand I hate not having two or three different projects to pick up as and when I feel the urge. So, guess what happened this afternoon? You guessed..................... I cast on!!! Mind you, there was a sensible need. We are travelling to Knit Nation by train and so I will need a small, portable project for the weekend. What better than a pair of socks. NOT MORE SOCKS! I hear you cry. These will be gorgeous when thery are finished. I'm using Anne Hanson's 'Fishbone Gansey' pattern. I love it! I decided I ought to show willing and use one of the yarns purchased at Knit Nation last year, hmmm! It's 'Fil de Chausette' by the French dyers 'Renaissance Dyeing', in the colourway iris. All of their dyes are naturally produced from plants. I'm hoping they will be in London again this year, as their colour range is beautiful.



I decided to get going on the pattterned part of the sock, leaving the main ribbed section to complete on the journey. It's okay to rib and chat, but NOT to pattern and chat! Here's how they are looking so far.


I'll leave you with this cheekie chappie. I watched him for quite a long time yesterday afternoon, as he planned and executed his attack on the peanut bird feeder. Such an agile little fellow!
Have a good week everyone!

15 comments:

josiekitten said...

I love your latest sock - I've printed out the Fishbone Gansey pattern too! Two weeks til Knit Nation - can't wait!! Have a good week! xx

Sarah said...

I love the purpleyblue theme this week! I have not heard that term 'frogged' before but it is a good idea to get rid of stuff sometimes. I start things and am enthusiastic for a while then it tends to just go and I am left with a table covered with that idea's requirements! At the moment the table is covered in pieces of glass and wire from the mobiles. Ah well, maybe I will frog them!
Have a good week and enjoy Knit Nation!

Lynne said...

Your socks are lovely (as always!), and I don't think the pattern is too lost in the stripy yarn.

That Renaissance yarn looks gorgeous. I've been thinking about solid colour sock yarn, so if I buy some, we know who to blame... ;)

Molly the Airedale said...

Our wisteria is blooming a second time too!
The purple socks look so pretty next to the purple petunias!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Ros! Your socks are so beautiful again! I love both of the colours!
Have a great week!
xxx Teje

Tracy said...

The summer of socks... I like that! ;o) LOVELY patterns & colors as always--you have a great eye for these things, Ros! Happy Days... and can't wait for your report from Knit Nation! :o) ((HUGS))

Jennyff said...

Love the blue/purple socks, I like the combination of pattern and yarn, I'd call it subtle. I think there are those amongst us who need to have a pair of socks on the needles regardless of what else we are knitting. I used to be a one project at a time girl but I've seen the error of my ways and now use the excuse I need car knitting. Have a sunny week.

Hannonle said...

I'm knitting loads of socks atm too! I have 2 OTN and 2 to cast on! Looks like I'll be knitting socks for a good long time yet.

Helsie said...

All I can say is you must have the best dressed, warmest feet in England !!! The purple ones are very pretty. I really love the pattern. Loved the little jumper for Sophie that you frogged too. Such pretty colours but no good if the size is going to be wrong. Children grow so quickly don't they?
Cheers
Helen

kate said...

Out here on the west coast watching Wimbledon meant getting up at 6am. As my mum was an avid tennis player and tennis watcher, we did it every year from as long ago as I can remember! Now of course they will replay the matches, but she still gets up to watch it live.

Nice socks (both the finished ones and the newly started ones).

Jim said...

Thanks for 'stopping by' today! Nice to meet you.
So you knit too! So do I.....maybe I will learn a thing or two from you.
Nice photos as well.
Happy Birthday on the 5th........we 'Cancers' must stick together! lol

fromsophiesview said...

We had wisteria blooming in our garden this year en masse....such a lovely treat...your socks are so soft looking...loving them as well...Happy Birthday to a fellow follower blogger...Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I love that purple sock pattern - I don't think it looks lost and the stripey sole is gorgeous.

Stadtwaldvogel said...

What a cute squirrel! The pink socks will become very pretty.
Have a nice weekend! Yours, Julia

melissa said...

love all the socks, but your cheeky little squirrel stole my heart! :)