Sunday 8 January 2012

IF ON A WINTER'S NIGHT....


Hello there! Good to see you again this evening. The first week back has school has rushed by and hasn't been too bad really. Yes, I know it was only a short week, but even so, I have to say it really wasn't too awful. Mind you, remember I'm saying this before the onslaught of paperwork begins to pile up into that insurmountable mountain once again. So at present I'm seeing the positives and long may it stay that way. Here's to a little bit of knitting time....................if on a winter's night............ there is a spare half hour!!!

I realise that it's about time that I showed you some knitting again. Yes, I know it does seeem a while since anything woolly appeared, but now I'm about to rectify the situation.


 I've begun knitting this cute little Dougie Dog Sweater sweaer that you can see in the photo for Sophie (my little granddaughter). It's part of a set which includes a very sweet hat and scarf as well.


 It's from this gorgeous book.....


I don't intend to rush along with this one. I have the yarn for all three items and as I'm knitting the smallest size, age 2 to 3, they are unlikely to fit her until next winter. You could say that.....I've started my Christmas knitting for Christmas 2012. Alright, alright, I know, I'll wipe that smug look from my face!

I've also made excellent progress with my Monkey Bread Infinity Scarf. It's another Anne Hanson pattern and a very relaxing knit. The Great Northern Yarns  70% mink, 30% cashmere is completely divine. It is the softest yarn inaginable and blooms amazingly as you work with it. Quite delicious! The infinity version begins with a provisional cast-on, which will then be grafted at completion. It's going to be so warm and snuggly!



I don't remember showing Mr Snoops hat that I finally managed to complete just intime for Christmas.  I used the October yarn and 'October Zest' pattern from the Knitspot 'Fall in Full Color Club'. The yarn is Briar Rose 'Fourth of July'  and there is plenty left to make scarf or another hat. Ahem, could that be another Christmas 2012 present on the way?


I have to say, he was rather pleased with it. It's doing a grand job of keeping his 'not very well covered with hair' head warm when he's out walking Oscar, if on a winter's night there'a a frost or a chill.

Josiekitten was very generous, as always, and bought me just the best Christmas pressie. I LOVE Michele's pretty project bags, as Josiekitten knows only too well. It's just gorgeous! Guess what was tucked inside?


 You're right , of course, a delicious skein of 'Sweetgeorgia' cashsilk lace; a scrumptious mix of 45% cashmere and 55% silk, in colourway riptide. I have to say, that after yet another fondle, I think it's beaten Great Northern's mink and cashmere by a short squish!! I shall be casting on Anne Hanson's 'Almost Ovals' pattern, just as soon as 'Monkey Bread' is complete.




The wonderful Soctopus sock book was gift from the younger Miss Snoops. She had spotted it on my Amazon wishlist. It's full of really beautiful patterns and as I have a couple of skeins of Alice's scrummy sokkusu yarn in my stash, I'm feeling a rather large urge to cast on.










The above skein is colourway Northern Lights and the skein to the right is Delphiniums. Even the colour names are crying out at me, begging me to choose them. I'm staying firmly with Monkey Breadfor the next week and then we'll see.    






I'm waiting for a little cardi or bolero pattern to catch my eye in the next week or two as well. I need to make a cover up for Sophie on the wedding day. She will be a Flower Girl, but as the wedding is at the beginning of April, it could well be quite chilly. I have the yarn ready to go and now just need the perfect pattern.


I've chosen some Debbie Bliss Rialto 4ply. It's 100% pure merino and is gorgeously warm and soft. The soft lilac colour is very pretty. Maybe I'll have the pattern to show you next time. I certainly intend to have a finished 'Monkey Bread', so I'd better get my skates on and get my school planning sorted out, so that if on THIS winter's night,  there is just a little bit of time to knit, I will seize it.


Wishing you a year of .....




16 comments:

josiekitten said...

You will love wearing your Monkey Bread - it is one of my most favourite knits, and keeps me so, so warm. I've got a case of startitis too - I'm just not quite sure what I want to make next. Possibly a case of too much yarn to choose from?! Never!!! Have a good week! xxx

Lynne said...

I couldn't see the bottom of the first photo when I clicked on your blog, and I thought that there must be loads of snow where you are! Doh!!

Your Monkey Bread Scarf is GORGEOUS! I've just had to add the pattern to my queue!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Ros! You have lots of beautiful yarn there! I love those little knittings for Sophie! That's nice you didn't feel difficult to start school again! Here they had all this week still holidays. Have a wonderful week! Hugs to Oscar!
x Teje

Jo said...

The Dougie Dog Sweater is wonderful, Sophie will look so cute in it. You did very well for soft squishy yarn for Christmas, some beauties there, I can't wait to see what you make with it all. I have some Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran in my stash, it's lovely and soft, I'm waiting for a pattern to catch my eye so that I can use it.

Sarah said...

Glad you found some knitting time Ros. I like the blue scarf-I can't even begin to imagine how you achieve that effect-but however you do it it looks great! I love the way that book presents the pictures of the clothes-very imaginative.
Yes-school has not been too bad-quite nice in fact to see all the kids. Have a good week1

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

How cute is that doggie sweater!
Love the shade of blue in the scarf too.
Chuck the paperwork... we'd rather knit right?
Have a great week.
Susan x

Dawn said...

That is such a sweet little book of childrens knits -look forward to seeing Sophie modelling in due course!

Anna said...

I'm loving the red jumper and also the scar. What great progress you've made on the scarf!

melissa said...

your little red sweater is coming along quite well - it's going to be adorable when it's finished!
i love your monkey bread too - such a fun pattern.

hope you have a good week!

kate said...

Look at all that knitting! The monkey cables are so flowing - like the rivers out here.

Lovely knits and yarns!

Molly the Airedale said...

Love the doggie sweater and scarf. It's so adorable!

Northern Monkey said...

Monkeybread is such a great pattern, yours is looking lovely.

I'm considering getting some 2012 Christmas knits done in the next few weeks as well. Not trying to be smug, I just know I wont have the knitting time once our baby arrives!

Hope you have a good week.

Stadtwaldvogel said...

A lot of lovely projects and yarn! Wishing you a good week, yours Julia

Denise said...

I have both of her knitting books, they're so fun, love the drawings in them too. Happy New Year, I love the Monkey Bread scarf too, might have to add that one to my queue.

Jennyff said...

You always make such beautiful things for Sophie, love the little sweater and the colour will be perfect for next Christmas. Have a good week, sorry its back to work, hope it doesn't interfere with the knitting too much.

Chicco said...

Hello! I really love your blog, i'm a new follower!! Come to vist us on our blog too?
have a nice day.
Woof, woof,

Chicco