Sunday 8 December 2013

CHRISTMAS IS COMING........



Hello there! I just had to show this amazing Christmas tree that is gracing the Forum in our city centre. The entire tree and it's beautiful adornments are ALL knitted. It's truly astonishing and very beautiful. Just take a look!


 How amazing is that!


 It must have taken a lot of people an awfully long time to complete! We were just passing through and the actual stand that had information about the tree was extremely busy, so we didn't stop, save to snap a few quick pics. I shall go back though, to find out more about the tree's origins.


Well what do you know, I've actually managed to complete these two cute little hats this week, in-between Christmas planning rehearsals and bazaar! The pattern knits up just perfectly on DPNs. It's a freebie called the Rialto Baby Beanie and suggests using Debbie Bliss Rialto DK in solid and Rialto DK Print, which I did. One 50g ball of each was enough for the two hats. The right-hand one is new-born size, ready for the new Baby Batman when he or she arrives and the other is toddler size for Jess. It's for her Christmas stocking. She will be nine months by the time Christmas is fully upon us and quite a big girl, so seemed to make sense. I loved making these so much that I duly went out and bought another couple of balls to make some more in different colour ways. I also love the fact, that like socks knitted on DPNs, there is no sewing up to do!!!

It's been busy, busy, busy this week in the run up to Christmas. We have had daily Christmas Concert rehearsals, assessments to get done and the school Christmas Bazaar on Friday. The snowmen biscuits proved too tricky for the little hands of my Year 3s, so we went for the easy option instead.... icing dollops and silver balls!

Bagged up and with a pretty ribbon, they sold like hot cakes!


So too did the chocolate truffles that the children made, all neatly packaged in the square-based pyramid boxes, also made by the children. All in all our stall was a great success and we somehow managed to make a profit of £96!!!!! All the box-making, cooking, pricing etc also provided a very worthwhile week of real-life maths lessons for the children.

I must just leave you with a few pics of our little doggy rascal, Oscar.


Here he is seemingly walking on water, having just launched himself into the lake in pursuit of his yellow tennis ball, watched by an admirer.


 Now you see him...... now you don't!


Lastly, here he is in doggy heaven, running along the beach at Holkham, on the North Norfolk Coast last weekend. I love this pic!



9 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow what a fantastic knitted tree!
School sounds mad busy, but fun too! Now I work part-time I'm not stressed at all. Not having a class of my own has lifted a HUGE workload off my shoulders and I still get to do some of the nice things. I'm making decoupage Christmas cards with Y6 this week.
Oscar looks full of bounce as always. I love the way you've captured that dive. Poor Inca hasn't been for a swim since the summer. Have a good week, not long to go now!

Sue said...

The knitted tree is amazing. I cant believe how much they have knit. I wonder how many people contributed and how long it took them to make. Your little dog is so cute and it seems he is fearless in the water too.

Una said...

The tree is amazing. I wonder what happens to it after Christmas. I like the yarn you used for the hats. I have something similar and one hat I knitted is so lovely I can't bring myself to give it away....yet.

Molly the Airedale said...

It looks like you're having the time of your life, Oscar!
The Christmas tree is just amazing!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

josiekitten said...

Love the tree. Mr JK told me he'd seen it, but didn't take any photos!! Love the action photos of Oscar too. I am counting down the days until the end of term - only 9 more gettings up!! xx

Wyatt said...

Love the tree, so clever!
Merry Christmas,
Wyatt and Stanzie

Lynne said...

Wow! That Christmas tree is fantastic!

melissa said...

wow, that tree is completely amazing!!

and i love love love the shots of oscar frolicking in the water! such fun!!

Anonymous said...

That tree is stunning! Such a labour of love. Love the doggy photos too!

Hugs
Brenda