Sunday 19 February 2017

GRANNIES........


It's been a pretty relaxing half-term week here chez Snoops'. There's been time for knitting, time for crocheting and time for sewing. Whoohoo!



I finally managed to complete the Opal Advent calendar project, with the twenty-four mini skeins making six colourful socks and forty-nine small granny squares (one extra using up a few remnants). I've made one more from some other remnant Opal yarn so that fifty squares will make a lovely five by five square cushion front and back. 


I've just loved working with the array of colours and pattern mixes and never tire of wondering what the next little bit will turn out like. I have to say I haven't been disappointed with any of the outcomes. Some of the mini-skeins seemed to work seamlessly into the next with little obvious evidence of colour change, whereas others needed to make a statement as they made their entrance!



Choice of colour for the borders and joining was the next consideration and after trying a blue, red and grey, I finally settled on this Opal neutral solid to best show off the beautiful colour pops. So far, it's looking good. 



This little grannies are so, so pleasing I could go on forever with them. I'm about halfway with the edging, so pressing on over the next few days with a little bit of hooky here and there interspersed with little people fun and play.


 There's also been time for another contact print cushion. To say I'm a teensy weensy bit hooked on these would not be the whole truth. This is a second cushion for my youngest daughter; the first one having been very well received! ;-) I'm liking the introduction of larger spots this time!


 It's also been a week for occasionally photographing my feet!


The pair above were the first ones I made when I began knitting again in 2008, 'encouraged' by Josiekitten, who had already spotted the future potential of some very, very beautiful yarn online and across the pond! I used some Opal sock yarn and......... they're still going strong!


These 'Monkey Socks' by Cookie A were my second pair. I'm guessing the sock bug had already bitten as these were also completed in 2008. The yarn is also by Opal and, as you can see, they are still very much in the prime of their life.


In 2010, these were my first pair of Magic Loop. I'm still not the greatest fan of the technique I have to say and still turn first to my DPN's for sock knitting. 

It's been lovely to relax and not actually have too much planned for the week! Happy, happy!

7 comments:

josiekitten said...

So much gorgeous colour. I need to crack on with mine! Have a good week. xx

Tracy said...

WOW...so much GORGEOUSNESS and all drenched with color. It's a happy way to start the day with all this! Happy Days, Ros! :) ((HUGS))

Molly the Airedale said...

Wow- you have been busy! You do such beautiful work☺

Teje said...

Hi Ros! Everything looks so colourbeautiful! I love granny squares and could make them for ever! Hugs to you and Oscar! x Teje PS. Paris is with us!

Anna Prasad said...

Such happy colours Ros. I love your socks too, I am attempting to knit 12 pairs this year, but I haven't even made one pair yet. I am thinking I will have lots of time when I fly form Australia to England (on my own) in March, so I am saving all my sock knitting until then! I have never tried the magic loop method, DPNs are so easy!

kate said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! I've made that Monkey pattern a couple of times and really like it. Every time I see your posts I think to myself that I really need to inject more colour into my yarn selections!

Jo said...

I have never been here before but I really enjoyed looking at your makes. They are quite similar to mine. Jo x