Sunday 15 November 2009

OCTOBER AFTERNOON ........ IN NOVEMBER!

Hello there! Sunday evening has come around again. The weekend seems to have flown by in a blur of wind, rain, schoolwork, washing, ironing (yes, I do some!), schoolwork, visiting, schoolwork and .......... YES! Some knitting! The weather was so appalling yesterday, with very strong winds and heavy rain showers lashing against the windows, that I decided to 'button down the hatches', get my jobs done, curl up on the sofa and KNIT! Don't get me wrong. I'm not really complaining about the weather. In fact, I'm thanking the rain for giving me every good reason to snuggle down for the afternoon with my 'October Afternoon' jumper and the gorgeously squishy Colinette yarn. I had three quarters of the second sleeve to complete, all the borders and the dreaded sewing up. Do you know what? I did it!

Today, as Sunday morning dawned clear and bright, Mr Snoopydog and I strolled down into the city to change library books and have our usual Sunday 'al fresco' coffee. We nearly always 'coffee al fresco' despite the often inclement English weather. We consider ourselves to be of the hardy type, who don't mind too much a downpour of rain, or a gale, or a snowstorm. Oh yes, we much prefer the lovely warm sun to be shining down upon us as we coif, but to breathe in the great outdoors is always infinitely preferable to sitting inside, at any time of year. On the way home we stopped of at John Lewis to buy some buttons for the aforementioned finished garment. I have looked for buttons a couple of times since beginning my cardi, but found nothing that seemed exactly right. I matched about ten different buttons against my yarn today. Although I had a definite preference for something small, simple, brown and wooden, when it came to the crunch .... they just didn't look right. You'll see what I finally chose in the pics coming up.

I am really pleased with my finished cardi. Even the sewing up looks flat and neat! The Colinette yarn was gorgeous to work with and beautifully coloured. The pattern was easy to read and accurate and the sizing perfect.
Here it is!




I loved the moss stitch neckband and front bands. They are narrow, lay absolutely flat and just do their job!


Sorry the next pic is a little weird; I'm not good at taking pics of myself whilst looking in the mirror to try to see what I am taking a picture of!!!



I have two skeins of this lovely yarn left. What shall I use it for? Mittens, gloves? I 'll have to decide.

I hope you like it. It's not my normal kind of style, but I had already tried three patterns and frogged each one, because either the yarn pooled or it just didn't suit the pattern. This pattern was written for the yarn, so it did suit! I like it!

Needless to say, there has been very little progress on either my 'November' socks or the 'Jaywalkers' for Jools. I must finish both pairs and my 'Cora' scarf before beginning anything else. What will you bet that that DOESN'T HAPPEN! I have that bag, full of gorgeous Rowan Cocoon that I showed you last week ................................. We'll see!

Have a good week everyone! :D

8 comments:

josiekitten said...

The cardigan looks lovely and snuggly - perfect for this time of year. You could make a cowl with the leftover yarn. I used 1.5 skeins of Colinette Cadenza for my Beech Wood cowl. It's a lovely textured pattern. Take a look at my Ravelry page. Have a good week, and leave that Cocoon yarn alone!!

knittingsandwich said...

it's gorgeous! that colorway is really beautiful!
-cmv

melissa said...

love the cardigan - it's perfect!

AnnaPrasad said...

It's gorgeous, I especially love the colour. Thanks also for your lovely comment on my blog recently, also about my new home! I need to do a little more work on it, but can't seem to find the time :-).

Jennyff said...

The cardigan is brilliant, so warm and cheery. Funny isn't it, we can't wait to get started on something new but then the actually finishing can drag a bit. Glad you got there, well worth the effort. I'd recommend a cowl too, I am besotted by them at present.

Molly the Airedale said...

Your cardi is just beautiful! I love the yarn! It's so festive!

Tracy said...

GORGEOUS...That cardi is sensational, Ros--great colors, great fit--wonderful work! :o)

Carrie said...

Lovely cardigan, good work! The thought of all that sewing up would have made me run a mile! I think the left overs would make a nice scarf :)